The Life of Sidney Poitier
A Great Luminary Figure-Sidney Poitier is a Bahamian-American actor born and brought up in the Bahamas and later came to the US as a teenager. He is an actor, director, film producer, and diplomat. He is one of the greatest Male actors of Classic Hollywood Cinema. He has starred in many films and also directed many films which were super hits.
Sidney Poitier was born on 20th February 1927(94 years). He was prematurely born and grew up in Cat Island, Bahamas, and later as a teenager, he came to the US with his family. Initially, he was in the US Army during World War (II) where he served in the medical unit for a short period. Later he applied to American Negro Theatre(ANT), but he was rejected because of his accent.
After the rejection, he did not lose hope, but he started working on his accent by listening to the radio voices and learning the pronunciation. Sidney Poitier was then accepted, and then he started his journey towards acting. He began studying acting to ace the film industry.
In 1946 Sidney Poitier made his first broadway debut in “Lysistrata,” and there was no turning back. He gave his best films continuously and later got into the direction of many films too. Once he got into the law, only after a long time did he return to acting.
|Birth Name||Sidney L. Poitier|
|Born||20 February 1927 (97yrs)|
|Profession||Actor, Film Director, Film Producer, Diplomat|
|Height||6 feet 2 inches|
|Hair Colour||Dark brown|
|High school||Not known|
|Works||The Defiant Ones|
Separate but equal
A Patch of Blue
What is the success story of Sidney Poitier?
- His way towards achieving success is truly an inspiration to many who think of giving up after rejections. Sidney Poitier was rejected by the American Negro Theatre because he did not have a native accent, but he did not give up on his dreams. Instead, he started working on his weakness by improving his accent.
- He made his first debut in “Lysistrata.” In 1964 he played a role in the film ” Lillies of the Field,” He was honored with his 1st Academy Award for the Best Actor.
- In 2009, US President Barack Obama honored him with the US highest civilian honor, the Presidential Medal of Freedom.
- He became the 2nd black actor to win the Denzel Washington Award.
- In 2012 after the death of Ernest Borgnine, he was awarded the Academy Award, and he was the oldest man to receive it.
- He starred in many films like Edge of the city, A Raisin in the sun, The Defiant ones, etc. Some of the movies he directed are Stir crazy, Buck and the Preacher, A Piece of action, etc. His work gained him a lot of success, respect, and recognition.
What is the relationship status of Sidney Poitier?
- According to the sources, Sidney Poitier was married to Juanita Harley, who was his first wife. Their relationship ended in 1965.
- Sidney Poitier later married Joanna Shimkus in 1967.
- It is known that Sidney Poitier has Six children whom he loves immensely.
What is the physical relationship of Sidney Poitier?
Sidney Poitier was a 6 feet 2 inches tall man. He had black eyes and dark brown hair. He was a black man who broke the color stereotype in the US industry and proved to be worth accepting.
What is the Net Worth of Sidney Poitier?
- With a net worth of $25 million, Sidney Poitier was a renowned actor who won the hearts of millions through his acting skills and direction.
- He achieved success through his films, where he played as an actor and through the movie he directed.
- For the Academy Awards, he was praised widely, after which he became more renowned in the Hollywood Industry.
- He won several awards for his films which added more to his wealth.
- His awards included Grammys, Academy Awards, Hall of Fame Award, BAFTA Fellowship, and many more.
- He was awarded several prestigious awards after which he became more widely known.
- He is one of the biggest celebrities of his era.
- He was an icon for many.