Opal Tometi is an American activist and social worker who founded the movement Black Lives Matter in 2013 and Patrisse Cullors and Alicia Garza.
Who is Opal Tometi?
Opal Tometi is a renowned personality in the United States of America who serves as a human rights activist and social worker. She has been an influential woman with her involvement in the significant human rights movement in the USA. Tometi pioneered and founded the Black Lives Matter movement alongside other activists Patrisse Cullors and Alicia Garza. She has also served in Black Alliance for Just Immigration as an Executive Director. Tometi is the perfect example of those who start working from the grassroots. Coming from a Nigerian family in the USA, she noticed a racial imbalance in her locality in Arizona.
Tometi started educating people there and tried to build a community that could help each other in time of need. She fought for people who have been suffering for their skin color and pushed to the level of death sometimes. Tometi is a dynamic community organizer and case manager. For her devotion to activism, she was awarded the Letelier-Moffitt Human Rights Award in 2017. She received PEN Oakland Josephine Miles Literary Award alongside Patrisse Cullors and Alicia Garza for writing When They Call You a Terrorist: A Black Lived Matter Memoire in 2019.
|Birth Name||Opal Tometi|
|Birth Date||August 15, 1984 (Age 37)|
|Birth Place||Phoenix, Arizona, USA|
|College||University of Arizona, Arizona State University, Clarkson University|
|Profession||Activist, Social worker, Public speaker|
|Active Years||The 2000s- Present|
|Country||United States of America|
|Height||5 feet 8 inches|
|Hair color||Dyed (Dreadlock)|
|Social Media Handles|
|Net worth||$4 million|
What does Opal Tometi do?
- Opal Tometi is an influential American social worker and human rights, activist. She has been a spokesman for the people who are facing racial slurs. Coming from a Nigerian family, Tometi has gone through major racial conflicts within her locality. These things ultimately encouraged the activist to raise her voice against the inhuman behavior of the people. She started her career as an activist from her locality Phoenix, Arizona, and tried to build a community against the violence that has been killing humanity for a long. Tometi began appearing in various universities and other institutions to educate people and lead them on the right path.
- In 2012, she gave a speech at Facing Race Conference held in Susquehanna University, Pennsylvania. The activist was also a part of the United Nations and United Nations Global Forum on Migration. She volunteered in the American Civil Liberties Union while studying in college and was also a chief member of Black Organizing for Leadership and Dignity. Her voice was echoing all over the country, and thus, she got several appearances on renowned media platforms, including print and digital ones. Tometi featured in Glamour, Essence, CNN, MSNBC, and BET in the following years. She has also been an influential writer who wrote in media forums like The Huffington Post and Time. Tometi has also served as an Executive Director of Black Alliance for Just Immigration, a national immigrant rights firm in the USA.
- In collaboration with other human rights activists, Patrisse Cullors and Alicia Garza, Tometi formed the movement cum organization Black Lives Matter to help the tormented ones. After the brutal death of George Perry Floyd in Minneapolis by the police officials set the whole world on racial conflicts. The BLM foundation played an active role at that time. For their active participation in the movement, Tometi and other activists were recognized in different institutions.
What is Opal Tometi’s height?
- Opal Tometi is 5.8 feet tall, and she weighs around 57 kg. She belonged to a Nigerian-American family and was born on August 15, 1984, in Phoenix, Arizona, USA. Tometi is highly educated and received her doctorate from Clarkson University. She also attended the University of Arizona and Arizona State University. Her eyes are black, and she has dyed her hair. Tometi’s family information is not available.
Is Opal Tometi gay?
- Opal Tometi is straight as well as married. She has been a private person who has never disclosed about her partner. Tometi’s personal life is away from the limelight.
Is Opal Tometi rich?
- Opal Tometi is an influential and wealthy activist in the USA. Her net worth is 4 million dollars.
- Opal Tometi is the co-founder of the Black Lives Matter movement.
- She belongs to a Nigerian-American family.
- She won the Letelier-Moffitt Human Rights Award in 2017.
View this post on Instagram