Life Story of Rakim
Rakim, whose birth name is William Michael Griffin Jr., is a Rapper and Songwriter by profession. He is considered one of the greatest MCs in the whole world. He has been a part of one of the most celebrated hip hop duo with Eric B. Lyrics of most of his songs revolve around his faith and offer the listeners a smooth music flow. He has impacted a lot of lives with his songs. Now let’s talk about how Rakim became the ‘The God MC,’ one of the names his fans call him alongside ‘The R,’ ‘The 18th Letter’.
Rakim got his inspiration for producing music from his brother’s death. He started making music in partnership with Eric B, and they had a long and successful partnership. Together the duo has produced some excellent quality music. After seven years, they got separated, and then in 1993, he made his first solo soundtrack called ‘Gunmen.’
Then he got into legal trouble. After getting rid of that, he signed a deal with Universal Records, and with them, he released his most popular album titled ‘The 18th Letter’, which achieved the 4th Rank on the Billboard 200. The artist left Universal Records in the year 2000 and joined Aftermath Records. He also had a successful stint with them. After almost 23 years, he has recently expressed his intentions of getting back with Eric B for musical tours.
|Birth Name||William Michael Griffin Jr.|
|Born||28th January 1968|
|Profession||Rapper, Songwriter, Musical Record Producer|
|Country||United States of America|
|Height||5 feet 6 inches or 167 cms|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
|High School||Wyandanch High School|
|Net Worth||3 Million USD|
|Years Active||1986 – Present|
What is the success story of Rakim?
- Rakim was born on 28th January 1968 in a low-income family in Wyandanch, New York, US. He had a troublesome childhood because his father, a criminal, had died in prison, and one of his elder brothers was shot dead while dealing with drugs. He has been very open about his childhood struggles.
- In his teenage years, Rakim used to sell drugs to feed the rest of his family after the death of his father and elder brother. But with the growing age, he decided that he was not going to walk in the footprints of his family members. He completed his education at Wyandanch High School, but the rapper never went to college. He started his musical career in 1985 and took the stage name of ‘Kid Wizard.’
- In that same year, he started producing music in partnership with Eric B. Since then, he never looked back, and though he never became a household name, to date, he has been part of almost every list of Popular MCs.
What is the physical appearance of Rakim?
He is an African American male who is 53 years old. He is 5 feet 6 inches tall (176 in cms) and weighs around 85 kgs (187.4 lbs in Pounds). Rakim’s eye colour is brown, and he has black hair and facial hair.
What is the relationship status of Rakim?
He is a straight male. He is currently married to his childhood friend Felicia, and they have three children together, named Destiny, Jabar, and Tahmell. Before that, Rakim had a relationship with Nicole Smith, but they never married. With her, he has a son whose identity is still unknown.
What is the net worth of Rakim?
As mentioned earlier, he is one of the most celebrated MCs, but he is also a rapper. Other than that, he also runs a business producing records. He has also appeared on a few TV shows such as Def Poetry (2002), The MC: Why We Do It (2005), and others. Currently, Rakim has an estimated net worth of 3 million USD.
- During his school days, Rakim was a phenomenal athlete, and he had the aspiration of becoming a professional footballer.
- At the time of birth, he had no religion, and he chose Islam as his religion at the age of 16.
- The lyrics of one of his famous rap songs ‘XXXX,” was written by Rakim at 14.
- He changed his birth name to Rakim Allah after converting his religion to Islam.
- Eric B is a close friend of Rakim.
View this post on Instagram