Who is Shaggy?
Born on October 22, 1968, Orville Richard Burrell is often addressed through his stage name Shaggy. He is a reggae musician from Jamaica. He is also known for his work in the field of singing and acting. He has also been a DJ.
“It Wasn’t Me”, “Angel”, “Oh Carolina”, and “Boombastic” are a few of his songs that have scored as major hits. He embarked on a musical career after being discharged from the military. His first hit song was the single ‘Oh Carolina,’ a remake of the 1958 song by the Folkes Brothers. In 1993, he released his debut album ‘Pure Pleasure’, which included the hit singles ‘Nice and Lovely’ and ‘Big Up’.
Shaggy left his native Jamaica at age 18 to join his mother in the Flatbush section of Brooklyn, New York, where he soon found himself a place in the local New York reggae scene. While in high school, he would use his lunch break to recite lyrics and perform on the benches outside.
The singer is 52 years old as of 2020. He is the son of Clinton Burrell and Lorraine Miller. His mother worked as a medical secretary. He is a seven times nominee of Grammy Awards. He has won the Grammy Award twice for “Boombastic” and 44/876 under Best Reggae Album.
|Name||Orville Richard Burrell|
|Born||October 22, 1968|
What is Shaggy famous for?
- Orville Richard Burrell or Shaggy, a Jamaican reggae musician, singer, DJ, and actor. Also known for his contribution as a Soldier. He also served in the United Nations Marine Corps in 1988. In the Persian Gulf War, Shaggy served his part in the 10th Marine Regiment. Shaggy then stepped into music with his first major hit, “Oh Carolina”, in 1993.
- His few other hits include “Boombastic” and “That Girl”. “Hot Shot”, released in 2000, was a global hit by Shaggy. In the following years, Shaggy released a few more hits, “Lucky Day” in 2002, “Clothes Drop” in 2005. He then remakes the Scooby-Doo song, which was then called “Shaggy, where are you?”.
- He also recorded for the theme song of the movie “Showtime”. He then, along with Ali G, released “Me Julie” on 11th March 2002, which was a great success, selling 3,00,000 copies. He also featured in a Grammy winner album, “True love”, in 2004. He has also performed in 2007’s ICC Cricket World Cup. During the later half of the year, Shaggy released an album, “Intoxication”.
- He also recorded and performed for the official anthem for the Mascots of the Euro 2018 football tournament. He also performed in both the closing ceremony of the 2009’s IPL and in the opening ceremony of the 2009’s Champions League. Shaggy launched another album, “Summer in Kingston”, which consisted of his single, “Sugarcane”, on 16th July 2011. His other releases were “For Your Eyez Only” in 2010, “Smile” January 7, 2012, “World Citizen” on April 5, 2012, “Girls Just Wanna Have Fun” “Habibi (I Need Your Love)” in 2015, “Don’t Make Me Wait in January 2018.
What is the height and weight of Shaggy?
- The 52-year-old artist has a great physique. He is 5ft 10 inches tall. He weighs around 72kg.
- Also, read about Joey Badass
- He is married to Rebecca Parker. The couple got married in 2014. He and Rebecca have two sons and a daughter. One of his sons Robb Banks is a recording artist, while not much is known about his other son Richard Burell and his daughter Sydney Burell.
Shaggy Net Worth
- His net worth is estimated to be around $14 million.
- His net worth is $14 million.
- Shaggy is his stage name.
- He is married to Rebecca Parker.
- He has 3 children.
- He is 5ft 10in tall.
- He has been a seven-time nominee of Grammy Awards.
View this post on Instagram