Lolo Soetoro was a prominent Indonesian Geographer. He is known as the stepfather of the 44th President of the United States of America, Barack Obama.
Who is Lolo Soetoro?
Lolo Soetoro Mangunharjo was the stepfather of Barack Obama. He was a geographer hailing from Indonesia. Lolo has served as a team member in the Indonesian Army. He was a fine geologist who was highly educated as well as had the potential to work hard. Amidst family pressure and crisis, Lolo stood firm by them and helped as much as he could. He has also served in the Union Oil Company in government relations. After Barack Obama’s mother and Lolo’s marriage, he successfully fulfilled all the father’s duties.
In his memoir, Dreams from My Father, Obama has distinctly mentioned his stepfather’s contribution to his upbringing. Due to his Indonesian citizenship, many critics raised questions about Obama being the President of America. Lolo shifted several places due to his family and work issues. After divorcing Ann Dunham, Lolo married another woman and had two children with her. The Indonesian geologist died after liver failure in 1987. Obama has mentioned him in the significant recalls of his childhood days.
|Birth Name||Lolo Soetoro|
|Birth Date||2nd January 1935|
|Birth Place||Bandung, Dutch East Indies (now Indonesia)|
|Death Date||2nd March 1987|
|Death place||Jakarta, Indonesia|
|College||Gadjah Mada University, University of Hawaii|
|Active Years||The 1950s- 1980|
|Relationship||Married before death|
|Spouse(s)||Ann Dunham (1965- 1980)
Erna Kristina (1980- 1987)
|Children||Barack Obama (Stepson), Maya Soetoro-Ng, Rahayu Soetoro, Yusuf Soetoro|
|Social Media Handles||N/A|
What did Lolo Soetoro do?
- Lolo Soetoro was a known Indonesian geologist mostly known as the stepfather of Barack Obama, 44th president of the Unites of America. He was born in Dutch East Indies and experienced the most challenging days of Dutch rule in the region. While growing up, Lolo lost his father and elder brother during the Indonesian National Revolution, and the Dutch Army also burned their house. Somehow, he, along with his mother and other siblings, could run away to the countryside. For his graduation, Lolo attended Gadjah Mada University in Yogyakarta, and for post-graduation, he attended the University of Hawaii in Manoa.
- In his professional career, Soetoro served as a geologist of the Indonesian Army Topographic Service. In 1965, he served as the colonel of the Indonesian armed forces. While pursuing his post-graduation at the University of Hawaii, Soetoro met Ann Dunham, a student there. She was a single mother raising young Barack Obama alone after her husband Barack Hussain Obama Sr. separated from her.
- Both Lolo and Ann fell in love and got married. In 1970, the geologist joined the mapmaking company Dinas Topografi as an employee. He moved from Hawaii to Jakarta and other places, often for work and family purposes. While talking about his childhood, ex-president of the USA Barack Obama said Lolo Soetoro was a well-mannered gentleman who has made significant contributions in his life as a father. Lolo taught Obama how to face the dangerous world.
What was Lolo Soetoro’s physical appearance?
- There is not much information about Lolo Soetoro’s physical appearance, but he had a tall and well-maintained physique. His hair and eyes were black. The geologist was born on 2nd January 1935 in Bandung, Dutch East Indies (now Indonesia). Lolo was one among the nine siblings of her parents. His father’s name is Martodihardjo Soetoro. Lolo graduated in geography from Gadjah Mada University and completed his post-graduation in the same subject from Hawaii.
Was Lolo Soetoro married?
- Lolo Soetoro married Ann Dunham in 1965. She was a single mother to Barack Obama. The couple had another child Maya Soetoro-Ng. They separated in 1980. In that very year, Lolo married Erna Kustina. The couple had two children Rahayu Soetoro, Yusuf Soetoro.
When did Lolo Soetoro die?
- Lolo Soetoro died of liver failure at the age of 52 in Jakarta, Indonesia. He died on 2nd March 1987.
- Lolo Soetoro was the stepfather of Barack Obama.
- He was a geologist.
- He died of liver failure.