Who is Sam Cooke?
Samuel Cook, popularly known as Sam Cooke, is one of the popular singers and songwriters in the 1960s in the USA. He was referred to as the King of Soul for his melodic vocals and significant contribution to the music industry. You Send Me, A Change is Gonna Come, Cupid, Wonderful World, and Chain Gang are Cooke’s most loved songs. He has a record of releasing 29 singles in a year which charted in the Top 40 singles of Billboard Pop Singles. Cooke was also associated with the Civil Rights Movement and influenced the public to reduce racism.
|Birth Name||Samuel Cook|
|Birth Date||January 22, 1931|
|Death||December 11, 1964 (Aged 33)|
|Birth Place||Clarksdale, Mississippi, USA|
|Death Place||Hacienda Motel in Los Angeles, California|
|Another name||Sam Cooke, King of Soul, Dale Cooke|
|Parent(s)||Charles Cook, Annie Mae Cook|
|Sibling(s)||L. C. Cook, Charles Cook Jr., Agnes Cook, Willie Cook, David Cook, Mary Cook, Hattie Cook|
|High School||Wendell Phillips High School|
|Education||High school graduate|
|Music Group||The Soul Stirrers|
|Height||5 feet 9 inches|
|Children||Linda Womack, Vincent Cooke, Tracey Cooke|
|Social Media Handles||N/A|
|Net Worth||$2 million in 1964|
What did Sam Cooke do?
- Sam was very passionate about singing from his childhood and used to sing at family functions. Soon after graduating from high school, he got the chance to join the famous music group The Soul Stirrers, which had a major influence on him as a singer. After some time, he started to record his own singles and released his first one, Lovable, in 1957 under Dale Cooke’s pseudonym.
- Soon he met the highest peak of his career and released You Send Me, A Change Is Gonna Come, Cupid, Wonderful World, Chain Gang, Twistin’ the Night Away, Bring It On Home to Me, and Good Times one after another. He has a record of releasing 29 singles in a single year. He has composed songs under different record labels like ABKCO, Specialty, Keen, RCA.
What was Sam Cooke’s physical appearance?
- Sam Cooke was a popular singer and had a very jolly personality. He was born on 22 January 1931 in Mississippi, USA. He was 5.9 feet tall and had an oval-shaped face. He went to Wendell Phillips High School for studies and graduated in 1948. His birth sign is Aquarius, and he had black eyes and hair. He was killed on 11 December 1964 in Hacienda Motel in Los Angeles, California.
Was Sam Cooke married?
- Sam was married to Barbara Campbell. The duo got married in 1959. Sam married Dolores Mohawk earlier in 1953, and they separated in 1957. Sam had three children Linda Womack, Vincent Cooke, Tracey Cooke.
How did Sam Cooke die?
- Sam was shot dead on 11 December 1964 in Hacienda Motel in Los Angeles, California. The reason and the culprit behind his tragic death could not be found. His association with the Civil Rights Movement can be the reason for his brutal death. Again his family could also be involved in the issue. The court could not dismiss the case till the date.
- From his album Blues with Friends, Dion released a song and music video in 2020 as an homage to Cooke called “Song for Sam Cooke (Here in America)” (with Paul Simon). “Song for Sam Cooke” was named the “Greatest of the Great 2020 Songs” by American Songwriter magazine.
How much did Sam Cooke earn?
- Sam Cooke was a successful and famous singer whose net worth was $2 million in 1964.
- Sam Cooke was a popular American singer.
- He was in The Soul Stirrers music group.
- He was shot dead in 1964.
- His wife was Barbara Campbell.
People Also Search For Freddie Gibbs and Natanael Cano