Q-Tip is a famous American singer, actor, disc jockey, and record producer. He is responsible for popularising the genre of hip-hop, particularly rap.
Who is Q Tip?
People nowadays may have many names but are known by a professional name. But Q-Tip’s birth name is Jonathan William Davis which changed to Kamaal Ibn John Fareed after taking Islam. He is a rapper, DJ, and actor known by his nickname, The Abstract. He is popularly known for introducing jazz-rap as a genre in hip-hop.
He has been a part of the rap group A Tribe Called Quest. The rapper also co-founded the production team The Ummah alongside Jay Dee and Ali Shaheed Muhammad. For his contribution to the music sector, Q-Tip was nominated and recognized with many honourable awards. He was nominated twice for Soul Train Music Awards in 2000 in the category of Best R&B/Soul or Rap Music Video for his songs Vivrant Thing and Hot Boyz.
In the same year, the rapper got a nomination for MTV Video Music Awards. Q-Tip received 10 Grammy Awards nominations in his career since 1997, among which he could win one in 2010 in the classification of Best Rap Album. Apart from these, the artist got a nomination for the BET Hip Hop Awards in 2009 but unfortunately could not win it. Q-Tip has gained success in his acting, singing, and rapping career.
|Birth Name||Jonathan William Davis|
|Birth Date||April 10, 1970 (Age 51)|
|Birth Place||New York City, New York, USA|
|Other Names||Kamaal Ibn John Fareed, The Abstract, Tip, The Lone Ranger, The Last Zulu|
|Parent(s)||Jonathan Davis II|
|High School||Murry Bergtraum High School for Business Careers|
|College||Did not attend|
|Education||High School Graduate|
|Profession||Rapper, Actor, Disk jockey|
|Active Years||1985- Present|
|Country||United States of America|
|Eye colour||Dark brown|
|Spouse(s)||Michele Daves (1990-Present)|
|Social Media Handles|
|Net worth||$10 million|
What are the career highlights of Q-Tip?
- Q-Tip, AKA The Abstract, was influenced by jazz music in his childhood. He could listen to his Father’s jazz collection on a loop. The aspiring musician started DJ-ing at the age of 12. While attending high school, Q-Tip came across his future music partner Ali Shaheed Muhammad. They began composing hip-hop music together. They participated in local rap battles and whatnot. Q-Tip became a member of the rap group A Tribe Called Quest in the late 1980s. The group released their album People’s Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm in 1990. They gained immense popularity for their unorthodox music composition.
- The following year, the group released their second album. The Low-End Theory, followed by their third album, Midnight Marauders, Beats, Rhymes And Life, The Love Movement, and We Got It from Here…Thank You 4 Your Service is the other popular albums o fA Tribe Called Quest. In his solo career, Q-Tip released several albums after debuting with Amplified in 1999. The Renaissance, and Kamaal the Abstract his other two albums. The rapper has a successful acting career, with appearances in films like Who’s the Man?, Poetic Justice, Prison Song, She Hates Me, Holy Rollers, etc.
What is Q-Tip’s family background?
- He belongs to an African-American Christian family. His Father’s name is Jonathan Davis II. Later, the rapper converted to be a Muslim. Q-Tip is a 51 years old rapper born on April 10, 1970, in New York City, New York, USA. he has a height of 6 feet and weighs around 84 kg.
Is Q-Tip unmarried?
- He is straight and has been married to Michele Daves since 1990. We don’t have any information about their kids.
How much does Q-Tip earn?
- He is a successful rapper, DJ, and actor. His net worth is $10 million.
- Q-Tip was a producer for the rap group A Tribe Called Quest.
- He was featured in the film Holy Rollers.
- Q-Tip’s birth sign is Aries.