Who is Johnny Carson?
John William Carson, an American comedian, producer, writer, and television host, was born on 23rd October 1925. Before starting his career in radio or TV, Carson was a part of the Navy during World War II. His interviewing and comic techniques won over a huge audience and spawned numerous imitators.
In 1992, Carson was bestowed with the Presidential Medal of Freedom and in 1993 was honoured with Kennedy Center Honor. He died on 23rd January 2005 at the age of 79.
Carson’s first paid performance was at the Norfolk Rotary Club when he was fourteen years old. He had a magician’s stand with the name “The Great Carson” on a black velvet cloth draped over the front. Carson also performed for his mother’s bridge club and the Methodist Church socials.
Following high school, in 1943, an 18-year-old Carson joined the U.S. Navy as an ensign and then decoded encrypted messages as a communications officer. After college, comedian Johnny Carson worked as a television writer for Red Skelton’s show.In 1962, he relocated to New York City.
|Name||John William Carson
|Born||October 23, 1925.|
|Profession||Comedian, Producer, Writer, Television Host|
|Country||Corning, Lowa, US|
5 ft 10 in
|Father||Homer Lloyd Carson|
|Mother||Ruth Hook Carson|
|Spouse||Jody Morrill Wolcott
|Children||Corry Carson, Christopher Carson, Richard Carson|
- Carson had discovered his talent for entertaining and amusing people during his service in the Navy. After graduating in 1949, he started his career in television and radio in the year 1950.
- Carson began hosting shows like Carson’s Cellar, To Tell The Truth, Who Do You Trust and many more. He is most popular for hosting, The Tonight Show Starring Jhonny Carson. He had first denied doing the show but later agreed.
- Jack Benny, Bob Hope, Jack Paar, Red Skelton, Fred Allen and Groucho Marx are Carson’s influences. Jonny Carson was a 1977 son by Brian Wilson, which was a tribute for the comedian.
- Carson’s show opened several scopes for performers like musicians and comedians. David Letterman, Jay Leno, Tim Allen, Joan Rivers are a few popular names among these.
What kept Johnny Carson fit?
- Johnny Carson, due to his habit of smoking regularly, had few health issues. On March 19th 1999, he had a severe heart attack and underwent surgery. John Carson died on 23rd January 2005 due to respiratory failure.
- Also, read about David Goggins
- Johnny Carson married Jody Morrill Wolcott in 1949. They had three sons together Corry Carson, Christopher Carson, and Richard Carson. The couple divorced each other in 1963. Richard Carson, the couple’s second son, died in a car accident on 21st June 1991.
- He then married Joanne Copeland on 17th August of the same year. The couple divorced in 1972, and Copeland received $6 thousand each month as alimony until Carson’s death.
- Carson had secretly married Joanne Holland, his third wife ion 30th September 1972. The couple got divorced in 1985 while Holland received $20 Million in property and cash.
- Carson then married Alexis Maas on 20t June 1987. The couple’s marriage lasted until Carson’s death.
- Johnny Carson’s net worth when he died was estimated to be $300 Million. He was the highest-paid television personality of his time. He earned $4 million approximately in a year. Carson’s beachfront residence is worth $81 million.
- Famous comedians like David Letterman, Jimmy Fallon, Joan Rivers, Ray Romano, Bob Newheart and many others have stated Jonny Carson as their influence.
- Johnny Carson’s charity for children and their health services and education, the John W. Carson Foundation, is the largest of Hollywood’s charities.
- The Aristocrat, a 2005 film, was dedicated to the late comedian.
View this post on Instagram