Who is Hikaru Nakamura?
Hikaru Nakamura, the youngest American Grandmaster of 2003, is a chess player, content creator, and live streaming on twitch. He was born on 9th December 1987 in Hirakata, Osaka Prefecture, Japan. His family shifted to America when Nakamura was two.
Hikaru Nakamura started playing chess at a very young age of seven. His older brother Asuka Nakamura also showed his brilliance as a chess player at a very early age. The Nakamura brothers receive coaching from their step-father Sunil Weeramantry, a chess author, FIDE master, trainer, and chess player.
Nakamura is currently rated No. 1 in the United States and No. 2 in the World according to the October 2015 FIDE ratings list, at 2816. He is also ranked No. 1 on the August 2015 US Chess Federation rating list at 2900.
Hikaru currently spends most of his time in Naples, Italy and Sunrise, Florida. He is a recipient of the prestigious Samford Chess Fellowship (2005), the 2007 National Open champion, and a three-time North American Open champion. He was an individual bronze medalist in the 2006 and 2008 World Olympiad and the gold-medalist on the first board of the 2010 World Team Championship, where the United States placed second.
|Born||December 9, 1987|
|Profession||Chess Player, Content Creator, |
Twitch Live streamer
|Country||Hirakata, Osaka Prefecture, Japan|
5 ft 7 in
|Eye Color||Dark brown|
|Mother||Carolyn Merrow Nakamura|
What was Hakuri Nakamura famous for?
- At a very young age of 10, Hikaru Nakamura became the youngest to beat Jay Bonin, an international master of chess. He was 15 years old when he became a chess prodigy and the youngest American Grandmaster. He also won the USA Championship nearly five times. In Chess Olympiads, Nakamura won two team bronze medals and one Team Gold medal for the United States. He was number one globally in the list of FIDE ratings and Rapid and Blitz Chess Rating.
- Nakamura won the US Chess Championship in 2005. He had two consecutive victories that year but lost two games against Surya Ganguly, an Indian Grandmaster in the FIDE World Cup in Russia.
- The year 2009 was a huge success for Nakamura as he won several championships, including the US Chess Championship. He also became 960 World Chess champion in the same year.
- Nakamura’s skills at blitz and rapid chess are his bests. His strength at Bullet Chess is also seen. He also wrote a book titled Bullet Chess: One Minute To Mate in 2009. Apart from holding the record of being the youngest American Grandmaster, he also became the youngest International Master at 13 years.
- Nakamura has also coached the chess players at a beginners level on the twitch platform. During the pandemic in 2020, his channel in Twitch received multiple numbers of audiences.
What keeps Hikaru Nakamura fit?
- Hikaru Nakamura is a significant name in the history of chess. He is 33 years old. He is about 73kgs. He is 5ft and 7 inches tall. He is not much into fitness but is sometimes seen tweeting his workout routine from his Twitter handle.
- Nakamura was born to an American mother, Carolyn Merrow Nakamura, a classically trained musician and former public school teacher and Japanese father, Shuichi Nakamura. When he was two years of age, his family moved to the United States. Nakamura’s parents divorced in 1990 when he was 3 years old.
- Also, read about Juicy J.
Hikaru Nakamura is said to be dating Mariagrazia De Rosa since 2013.
- Hikaru Nakamura’s net worth is estimated to be around $50 million.
- Hikaru Nakamura attended Dickinson College in 2006. He took a short break in that year but soon resumed playing.
- In the year 2019, Nakamura became a US Chess Champion for the fifth time, and at the beginning of 2020, he was ranked as the world’s No.1 blitz player of chess.
- During the pandemic, Nakamura played a huge part in popularizing the game online with the help of his Twitch platform.
View this post on Instagram